Saturday, July 6, 2013

7/6/13: The Antikythera Mechanism


This 2000 year old hunk of metal is currently the most complex antique in existence.  It is currently being held at the Greek National Archaeological Museum in Athens.  Researchers have discovered through the use of X-Rays that it contains approximately 30 different gears.  It also has approximately 2000 different characters inscribed on it (around 95% of which has been translated).

So what is it used for?  Historian Derek Price seems to believe that it was used in astronomy to make calculations and predictions about the stars and planets whenever needed.  What exactly that means, and how it could prove to be useful, I don't really know.

Still though, neat!

Source: http://www.antikythera-mechanism.com/

Vocabulary Word of the Day:
Bedewy:  Moist with dew, dewy

I stepped out onto the front porch, the bedewy grass glistening before me as I thought to myself, "what a silly sounding adjective."

No comments:

Post a Comment